A roll-on-roll-off ship (ro-ro decks) is a type of ship divided into several horizontal compartments (decks). All decks are accessible via the main ramp and one or more internal ramps. In the maritime sector, these ramps are sometimes also referred to as access ramps.
This system makes it possible to drive and park all kinds of rolling cargo such as cars, vans or trucks onto the decks. This method often makes the process faster and more cost-effective.
Because these decks are constantly exposed to water combined with frequent loads, they must provide for a safe surface. A safe and functional deck system is vital.
For example, a deck must meet the following requirements:
- Be waterproof and liquid-proof
- Be slip-resistant in dry and wet conditions
- Be able to withstand fresh and salt water loads
- Be chemical/temperature-resistant
- Be flexible/elastic
- Be noise/vibration-reducing
- Be sufficiently wear-resistant